The U.S. Army's Field Manual 27-10, The Law of Land Warfare, is one of the major resources used for educating U.S. military personnel on the law of war. It contains numerous pertinent direct quotations from the various Geneva and Hague Conventions, as well as several official interpretations of these conventions. I obtained the official online version of FM 27-10 and have posted it here with some minor revisions. The only revisions I've made are as follows:
1. I changed the font to make it easier to read.Field Manual 27-10 is unclassified and is in the public domain. This version, however, is my property. This is due only to the few revisions I've made as noted above. Permission to download, store, reproduce, and distribute further is hereby freely granted for this version if this prefatory note is included.
2. I added color as background to the title.
3. I amended the note beneath the title to be more understandable.
4. I deleted a lengthy document before the foreword which required certain amendments to the 1956 version, doing so because I deemed it unnecessary since the revisions are contained in the manual itself and are specifically indicated.
5. I deleted a brief "authorization" note at the end as being superfluous.
6. I corrected several obvious spelling and/or typographical errors.
7. I corrected innumerable intra-document links which would not work in order to, with hope, make them work properly.
8. I added a few hyperlinks to the text, without altering the text itself.
Adjunct Professor, University of Maryland University College
| Field Manual
DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY
WASHINGTON 25, D.C., 18 July 1956
THE LAW OF LAND WARFARE
|Note: Changes required on 15 July 1976, have been incorporated within this document. Changed or new material is indicated by an asterisk (*).|